Job Opportunity Choir Administrator
Deadline: April 15, 2018
This is a contract position, with yearly renewal.
Edmonton Vocal Alchemy Society (Vocal Alchemy) seeks to contract an Administrator beginning May 1, 2018 for a year-long renewable contract position.
Vocal Alchemy was created by a group of experienced singers convinced that a welcoming attitude is compatible with making great choral music. Since our founding in 2002, our membership and leadership have seen much change and growth. But as a group, we have never wavered in our conviction that singing together is transformative. Whatever we sing, our aim is the same: to delight our audience and grow as singers.
The choir has recently completed its 15th Anniversary season (and ten years under the direction of Jordan Van Biert) and boasts 100 singers with a wide variety of levels of experience. VA produces an ambitious three-concert season and regularly collaborates with a variety of professional instrumentalists and vocalists. The non-profit Edmonton Vocal Alchemy Society is a registered charity with multiple artistic staff, numerous suppliers and contractors, and an ongoing need for strong administrative support to continue the excellence of the organization. The Administrator will provide support to the Executive Director, and to the volunteer leaders who are crucial to the successful operation of the choir.
Rehearsal/Membership Administration (55%):
- Monitor and disseminate incoming email communication, and maintain current contact lists
Share duties of outgoing email communication (particularly internal), with emphasis on content preparation, including creation of an internal weekly update.
Coordinate and provide ongoing support for volunteer leaders (music librarian, attendance trackers, membership coordinator, ticket distributors, etc.)
Oversee registration, collect fees and prepare collected funds for deposit
Track members, harmonize lists, collect forms and perform data entry
Sort data for the use of the Artistic Director and Board
Assist in venue booking and scheduling for singer voice placement sessions
Concert Production/Front of House (25%):
Coordinate and oversee all front-of-house activities including box office and volunteers
Oversee aspects of concert production including venue bookings and paperwork, coordination of contract staff (e.g. lighting, recording), distribution of payments, collection of deposit(s)
Assist with creation and compilation of concert program content (not design/layout)
- Create and update written content for internal and external documents: e.g. welcome handout, intake forms, operations manual, business plan, annual report, board policies
- Prepare and file grant applications (including but not limited to AFA and EAC operating grants), with support from the Artistic Director
- Prepare and file external reports (including grant reports, annual return, charitable return, AGLC report)
- Support the Music Librarian by sourcing, ordering and borrowing/renting printed music in consultation with the Artistic Director, returning music to lenders, updating library catalogue
- Forward invoices for approval by the Artistic Director and/or Board, and payment by the Bookkeeper; liaise with suppliers and assist in keeping accounts current
- Run errands: mail collection and distribution, equipment rental, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Administrative experience
- Excellent written communication
- Competence with MS word, Excel, Gmail, Google docs
- Vehicle, mobile phone, computer, printer/scanner
- Availability for flexible hours including Tuesday evenings and occasional weekends
One or more of the following skill/experience areas would also be an asset:
- Familiarity with choral music, and the Edmonton choral community
- Marketing/Communications experience
- Familiarity with google forms, WordPress, and/or desktop publishing software
- Bookkeeping training/experience
Reporting to the Artistic and Executive Director.
Beginning May 1, 2018 for a season-long renewable contract position, renewing in July annually, averaging 8-10 hours per week. The position will require some flexible daytime hours, most Tuesday evenings, and 5-6 weekends annually (dates available on request), however the majority of required work can likely be performed at the contractor’s time and place of choice.
Start date and workload for the first four months are negotiable.
$22-$28/hour (commensurate with skills & experience)
Interested parties are encouraged to send an email of introduction with resume attached, to Vocal Alchemy Artistic and Executive Director Jordan Van Biert through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: April 15, 2018. Candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted shortly thereafter.